Thursday, July 12, 2007

Conscientious Objection

Although the reader should not disquiet himself with even the slightest thought of my desires, however sincere they be, still it is my desire, most sincerely, not to confuse but to clarify. This in all things, or most things, or perhaps only many things. At any rate I do not like to contribute to the general state of confusion.
At that then, weeks ago, I referred to Burley tobacco and Black Cavendish tobacco as my "twin" Muses. Of course if these were twins it would be of no use to blend them, and yet it is in the blending that their splendour is revealed.
Clearly, they are not twins.
I regret the error.

3 comments:

Christine said...

All is forgiven, Mr. Carriere.

frcross said...

They could, I suppose, be fraternal twins, which presupposes non-identity. They could also be "twinned," i.e., essentially or better found together even though they are different from each other.

J D Carriere said...

Oh well this is good news indeed, Father. One does not like to think that such a pretty metaphor has gone wrong.

Of course, under your last definition I now find myself the happy beneficiary of triplet muses having added grain whisky to the list.

Hurrah.